Tuesday 11 December 2012

My 'Film Ident'

                                                                          My Ident


An ident is a bit like an advert, but it's not. It is basically a film company identifying themselves on a small-like video, which shows who is the main distributor of the film it is trying to premiere. For an example, 'Universal Pictures' uses the Earth and text that spins around the Earth to identify specifically who they are, as a distributor.



The main function of an ident is to give an idea of the company involved in the film and the production companies, who created these idents. 'Universal' for an example are owned by the 'General Electric' who are one of the top 6 production companies in the world, of which the 6 own 90% of the world's media.


Construction of my 'Ident':

At the top of this blog is my company ident, which I created using Final Cut Pro on a Mac.



The Name:

I chose the name 'Jupiter Productions' because I wanted to come up with an ident, which is similar to 'Universal Pictures' who are a worldwide major distributor. The name links with the 8 planets that we know and learn in news documentaries and also at a primary or secondary school. Jupiter is also the biggest planet in the solar system, which shows that 'Jupiter Productions' is a product which can sell big films, like 'Universal'.



The Typography:

I have used the font 'Korataki' for 'Jupiter Productions' because it's bold and that writing normally stands out better when bold; I filled the font with the colour white, so it could stand out on a black background. I have made the 'Jupiter' look bigger than the 'Productions' to show importance to what the distributors name is and the 'Production' is just for the backup.
        However, for my 'Walker Pictures Entertainment', I have used the font 'Helvetica', which is not as bold as what I have used for the 'Jupiter Productions'. I have done this because it is less important and I have made it very small, so that the viewer doesn't have to be reminded of the text. It is shown in the bottom right hand corner.



The Motion:

The clip I have included for my ident (Space: Jupiter and the moons) came from YouTube. I got it from a documentary from the United States about the planet Jupiter and just the basic information about it.

                                       The US documentary is called 'Jupiter - The Giant Planet'

The idea came from the first 30 seconds of the documentary, with the planet itself and the movement of Jupiter, with its moons. I used the Intro, Outro and the Favourite tool to crop and add parts of this documentary to my timeline, so I could make an effective piece of work, which works well with the film industry in general. I tried not to put my text in to the clip too early, otherwise it would be boring to look at a text for so long. I put the text within 15 seconds of my ident, which appeared and dissolved at the end of my ident.





The Sound:

I used YouTube to find the clip of the sound to my ident. I added the video to the timeline and then detached the audio from the clip by pressing 'Ctrl + Left click' whilst being highlighted.



By doing this, I can cut out the whole clip and just place the sound in to the ident. From the documentary, I did completely the opposite (cut out the sound and just placed in the clip).

No comments:

Post a Comment