Thursday 7 February 2013

Title Sequence

As mentioned in my analysis of the film 'Shrek', the opening sequence is considered the most important part of the film, or in film structure terms, the first act. When filming an opening sequence, I need to consider the genre of the film, the characters and the story line, as well as the above-the-line talent to highlight the main stars of that particular film. It must also set the mood and tone for the rest of  the film. A good title sequence should encourage and engage the reader into the rest of the film, so it can get great feedback and hopefully recommend the film to other people of the target audience.

For my title sequence, I wanted to create an idea of a young man who tracks down his father after he was sent a letter from his dad, telling him about his life in Berlin, Germany. My title sequence would play alongside the narrative throughout the piece, so the titles can appear, while the image is being shown. I chose this because then it makes the opening sequence a lot more effective and also because it looks more like an opening sequence to a film. It is also shown in many drama film opening sequences.

 The font I am going to use for my titles are going to be plain, like the 3 drama film titles above, for an example, 'Billy Elliot' has just used Arial Black to create the titles of the film. As my film is a drama film, I am going to copy the ideas from these 3 drama films and to put them into my film sequence. The above-the-line talent will have the same font. 



By using 'Microsoft Word' to find a wider variety of fonts, I looked for a plain title that would best suit our film and the font was called 'Adobe Caslon Pro BOLD'. This font is kind of similar to the font you see in a newspaper or broadsheet and it's an activity for 45-54 year olds, so it is familiar with the target audience. Any other font, which looks big and bold or weird does not fit in with the conventions of a drama genre.   

No comments:

Post a Comment